Is your Voice Network as Secure as it Can Be?
As technology becomes integrated into day-to-day business operations, it is easy to start taking its dependability and security for granted. Even though Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) networks are an important communication tool for professional services firms, government agencies, and financial institutions across numerous industries, they also pose an ever-present cybersecurity risk.
Voice networks are used to continually pass valuable data, which makes them a target for cybercriminals hunting for health records, confidential account data, or credit card information. In the world of cybersecurity, complacency leads to increased vulnerability for businesses of all sizes, opening the door to a range of threats.
What are the risks associated with voice networks?
Businesses can use IP telephony as a way to extend consistent communications services to all employees, whether they are working on-site or remotely, through a variety of devices and operating systems. Because VoIP networks transmit audio over a network using standards-based IP, however, they present risks similar to other forms of web-based communication. Some of the potential risks include:
- Call logs being stolen and/or illegally disseminated
- Calls being recorded without the user’s knowledge
- VoIP accounts being hacked
- Viruses and other forms of malware infiltrating the system
- Denial of service attacks
Fortunately, these risks can be mitigated with the help of the right infrastructure and highly skilled technicians and engineers to install and manage it.
Avaya’s security standard
As an industry leader, Avaya stays up-to-date with emerging cybersecurity risks and has designed its suite of security-enabled voice networking products to proactively confront those risks using the latest technology and best practices. Avaya’s communications solutions are not only scalable to fit the size of your operation, but they also are reliable and highly secure to answer the growing cybersecurity threats facing organizations.
Avaya offers two methods of delivering end-to-end security for voice networks:
- Defense in Depth. A multilayers security approach that secures your organization’s voice and data infrastructure – even with employees working remotely – using a VPN-less solution with encryption. This solution also includes an intrusion-detection system, SIP firewalling capabilities embedded with Avaya Session Border Controller, and an intrusion-prevention system.
- Defense in Breadth. This solution combines the Defense in Depth solution with the Avaya Fabric Connect and Fabric Attach solutions to provide a multilayered security approach that is especially useful for companies whose employees use their personal devices for work-related projects and communication.
In general, Avaya’s mobile and cloud-enabled communication solutions employ cutting-edge technology to deal with the wide range of cybersecurity threats constantly emerging in the Internet-enabled business world. With the correct infrastructure in place, organizations can feel confident their voice network is secure and proceed with business as usual.
Smart IP, an independent full-service voice and data communications specialist, has deployed Avaya systems throughout Canada for nearly four decades and is well-versed in the provider’s voice network systems and other communications solutions. With a reputation for excellent customer service, Smart IP’s technicians are available to help with implementing and maintaining your organization’s Avaya systems in a timely and efficient manner.